No. 12 DEX Imaging Ford Mustang – Ryan Blaney
Stage 1: 17th
Stage 2: 27th
Laps Completed: 92/92
Laps Led: 0
Point Standings (behind first): 8th (-155)
- Ryan Blaney started 11th and finished 10th on Sunday afternoon at Sonoma Raceway, surviving multiple tire issues during the race and exercising patience as he raced forward to grab a top-10 finish. The top-10 result was symbolic of an amazing team effort overcoming adversity throughout the race.
- On the opening run of the race, Blaney reported he was lacking rear grip in the No. 12 DEX Imaging Ford Mustang, pitting at the competition caution for four tires and an adjustment. Crew chief Todd Gordon elected to leave Blaney on the track under the competition yellow, cycling the DEX Imaging Mustang to the fifth position.
- Blaney took damage to the left front of the No. 12 Ford while battling for position on lap 27, but continued on the track without a tire rub. A caution flag prior to the end of the second stage would bring Blaney to pit road for four tires and repairs to the left front.
- At lap 54, Blaney was forced to pit the No. 12 DEX Imaging Mustang for a left rear tire delamination. Unfortunately, Blaney was forced to pit again at lap 65 for a right front tire delamination, however, the team would be setup in a position to make it the rest of the way without stopping.
- A caution at lap 72 would bring the No. 12 Ford team back to pit road for another slight air pressure adjustment. Blaney would survive multiple late-race restarts to rally forward, bringing the No. 12 DEX Imaging Mustang home in the 10th position.
Quote: “We were never on the right tires with the right track position. We were kind of all over the place. I thought we were in a pretty good spot with 25-30 to go and we kept delaminating tires. We had a delaminated rear and I was in the dirt with no grip, and then we got sandwiched there and that’s kind of just what happens. That’s probably the ugliest top 10 car I’ve ever had, that’s for sure, but I’m proud of them for sticking with it. I just wish the strategy worked out a little bit better than what it did. We just couldn’t really catch a break at the right time, but, overall, ending up in 10th isn’t too bad.”