No. 12 BODYARMOR EDGE Ford Mustang – Ryan Blaney
Stage 1: 28th
Stage 2: 21st
Stage 3: 16th
Laps Completed: 400/400
Laps Led: 2
Point Standings (behind first): 7th (-151)
- Ryan Blaney and the No. 12 BODYARMOR EDGE Ford Mustang team started 11th and finished 13th in the Coca-Cola 600 at the Charlotte Motor Speedway. Blaney rebounded after suffering a lose wheel and speeding penalty, which put the No. 12 team in a battle for track position throughout the 600-mile race.
- Blaney raced his way to the ninth position before early misfortune of a loose wheel plagued the BODYARMOR EDGE Mustang team on lap 46. After making back-to-back pit stops, Blaney found himself in the 28th position at the conclusion of the first 100-lap stage. Over the course of the long run, Blaney reported his Mustang became freer. He pitted again under the yellow flag for tires, fuel, and adjustments.
- As stage 2 got underway, Blaney fought up to the free pass position on lap 120 but lost the spot during green flag stops on lap 154. Shortly after the caution was displayed the No. 12 team took the opportunity to waive around and rejoin the lead lap with 23 laps remaining in the second stage. During the remaining laps of stage 2, Blaney’s Ford started to run tight with heat cycles on the tires and he was scored 21st at the conclusion of the second stage.
- Blaney restarted the third stage 16th on lap 207 and worked his way to 12th before making his scheduled green flag stop on lap 245 for four fresh tires, fuel, and adjustments. Throughout the third stage his car began to free up even more as the track conditions changed and was scored 16th at the end of stage 3. Crew chief Todd Gordon called his driver to pit road once more during the stage caution for four fresh tires, fuel, and major adjustments including air pressure and packer. Unfortunately, Blaney was caught speeding on pit road, forcing him to restart at the tail end of the longest line.
- In the final stage, Blaney continued trying to work his way forward and he moved inside the top the top-15. He visited pit road on lap 344 for four tires, air pressure and adjustments and was credited with a 13th-place finish.
Quote: “Had the loose wheel early in the race and we were able to take the waive around, got back on the lead lap and then the pit road speeding penalty hurt us. We had a better car than our result tonight, but we’ll keep fighting.”