Stage 1: 18th
Stage 2: 8th
Laps Completed: 266/267
Laps Led: 0
Final Point Standings (behind first): 24th (-94)
- Ryan Blaney started 14th and finished 29th in Sunday’s race at Homestead-Miami Speedway. The driver of the DEX Imaging Ford Mustang battled an ill-handling Mustang much of the day and would be caught up in an accident on lap 201. Blaney now sits 24th in the NASCAR Cup Series standings, 94 points behind the leader.
- The driver of the No. 12 Ford Mustang started 14th and was up to 10th position by the lap 25 competition caution. He reported to crew chief Todd Gordon that he was tight on entry, center and loose on exit. He pitted on lap 27 for four tires, air pressure and a track bar adjustment.
- Restarting 12th, Blaney struggled with speed on the restart. A caution on lap 65 would bring the DEX Imaging Ford back to pit road for tires and additional chassis changes. He restarted 15th and finished in the 18th position when Stage 1 was completed on lap 80.
- Blaney started Stage 2 from the 17th position. He worked his way up to 15th before a cycle of green flag pit stops began on lap 120. Blaney was 14th when the fourth caution waved on lap 155, which set up a one-lap dash to finish the stage. The driver of the DEX Imaging Ford restarted 12th and picked off four positions on the final lap to finish eighth when Stage 2 ended on lap 160.
- Blaney would begin the final stage of the race from the 18th position on lap 167 after pitting during the stage caution. Unfortunately, on lap 201 Blaney would be squeezed into the Turn 4 wall, which caused significant damage to the DEX Imaging Ford. Gordon and the crew made extensive repairs. Blaney returned to the track and was credited with a 29th-place finish.
Quote: “It was a tough day for our DEX Imaging Ford Mustang team. We struggled with the balance but felt like we were making progress. Unfortunately, I got squeezed into the wall and that basically ruined our day. We’ll put it behind us and move to Las Vegas next week.”