- An eventful day for Ryan Blaney and the No. 12 Menards/Cardell Ford Mustang team ended with a fifth-place finish in Sunday’s Bank of America ROVAL 400 at the Charlotte Motor Speedway. Blaney overcame a spin and pit road penalty to score his ninth top-five finish of 2020.
- Under wet conditions, Blaney started 24th and made his way up to 20th by the competition caution on lap 10. He restarted 26th and made his way to 18th before pitting under green for slick tires. A caution on lap 24 would see a one-lap run to the stage conclusion with Blaney coming home in the seventh position.
- Blaney restarted in fifth position when Stage 2 began on lap 28. He would be second by lap 34 and take the lead from William Byron on lap 40. Blaney would hold off Chase Elliott to win Stage 2, his fourth stage win of 2020.
- The final stage would see Blaney restart in the 21st position. By lap 72, Blaney worked his Menards/Cardell Ford Mustang back to the lead. Unfortunately, he would spin from the lead on lap 74 and subsequently make his last pit stop of the day. Bad luck would bite the No. 12 team as Blaney sped on pit road leading to a drive-thru penalty.
- Rejoining in 34th-place, Blaney would catch a caution on lap 87. Gordon would elect to the keep the Ford Mustang on track to regain as much of the track position lost. The move paid off as Blaney was able to hold on to a fifth-place finish.
- Blaney is 11th in the NASCAR Cup Series standings heading to Kansas Speedway next Sunday.
Quote: “We had a really fast Menards/Cardell Ford Mustang. The pit cycles and strategy seemed to work good for us today. Unfortunately, I spun leading the race and had a pit penalty that set us back. Thankfully, a caution came out and we made up a lot of the track position lost. Big thank you Todd Gordon and the crew for sticking with me and we’ll look to build on this heading to Kansas next week.”